That was before we had an ice storm, followed by close to a week of below freezing lows at night...:(
Pretty blooms on the day they were purchased...
Sadly, most of these beautiful flowers are wilted and barely surviving at this point and I'm currently trying to give them a little TLC and hope they come back to life. If not, I heard Lowe's has half price flowers right now...I may be re-doing some flower pots after my trip to Arkansas this weekend!
Front porch - luckily these are still alive!
My greenhouse purchases also included a TON of garden plants that are dying by the day. We've been keeping all of the plants and flowers in our garage during the day and night since it's been too cold to have them out, and they are dying from lack of sunshine. Just the past few days we've been able to put everything outside, but I'm afraid it may be too late. We've already lost all of our green pepper plants, a lettuce plant, and some of our tomatoes are looking sad and wilted. Come on Kansas! Give me a break!!
The lineup this year includes:
-Broccoli
-Lettuce (against Chance's decision...:))
-Several varieties of tomatoes (Better Boy, Roma, Cherry, Grape...yum!)
-Green peppers (except all THREE plants I bought are dead...we'll be replacing them)
-Asparagus (can't harvest the first year)
-Onions
-Sweet banana peppers (the plant already died, but we'll be replacing it too)
-Green beans
-Cucumbers
-Yellow squash and zucchini
We are hoping to get our garden planted this weekend since temps are predicted to be in the upper 70's...wish us luck! I'll be out of town until Sunday afternoon, and Chance has to remove several trees around the garden area before we can get things planted. It might take us a little while...
We LOVE having fresh veggies and are excited to finally have a place to call our own to plant the big garden we've both always wanted. Let's just hope we're not getting in over our heads with the million other things we usually have going on in the summer. Keep your fingers crossed for a healthy 2013 garden...and when we finally have people over, we'll serve some of our delicious goodies!!


No comments:
Post a Comment