December 15, 2013

Henry is 1 Month Old!

Henry is a month old, and what an amazing month it has been!  Some days it feels like it's flown by and other days it doesn't (typically when I'm up at 3:00AM feeding him and can barely hold my eyes open).  It's amazing how much he has changed in just a month and I know the time only goes quicker from here. 

Get ready for Henry picture overload...and I mean overload.  I can't stop snapping them or staring at him.  He's perfect :)  Enjoy!


First, here are a few pictures from our first afternoon at home.  My mom had been staying at our house while we were in the hospital, and she cleaned it top to bottom...it was immaculate!  Honestly, it'll probably never be that clean again...:(  Since I'm so behind on posts about our remodeling, here are a few shots to show the progress we made the few weeks before Henry was born.  It is a completely different house!  We still have crown molding to finish, which is almost done, and exterior doors to replace, but overall, we're almost done with the inside.  It's so exciting!  Next project will be the outside...but not until spring thank goodness!

Looking into the kitchen

View from the front door

 Dining Room

 Henry's first picture in his new home

 The horses in the background

 Cinch & Gus checking out our new addition

We had an eventful first week to say the least. We came home on the 4th and woke up on the 5th to Chance's phone ringing.  He ended up not even getting to take time off because his customers needed products and that's how the job goes.  Off he went and my mom and I held down the fort while he was gone.

 First nap in the Little Crib




Our first morning at home waking up on Daddy's lap 
(before the phone started ringing)

From the first day, I had a lot of pain when nursing Henry.  By the time we came home, I was in so much pain every time he ate that I cried. On the Friday after Henry was born, my mom and I ventured down to the Breastfeeding clinic at the hospital where we delivered .  I kept thinking there had to be something I was doing wrong for nursing to hurt so badly.  The lactation nurse took one look at me and at Henry's mouth and let us know that he was tongue-tied.  Evidently some people are born with a condition where the bottom side of their tongue is attached to their bottom gums.  Henry couldn't stick his tongue out past his bottom gum line and therefore was using his gums to nurse...as you can imagine, that was the cause of the pain.

We immediately called the ENT and took him in to have it clipped.  Right away, he started nursing better and the pain has gradually subsided. 

Henry was a model child at his first checkup with the pediatrician.  At 5 days old, he had already gained back to his birth weight and checked out perfectly.  

 Sponge bath before going to the pediatrician

 Family photo waiting at the pediatrician

 Daddy was in charge at the doctor's office

 Skype-ing with my family

 Gus hanging out with Henry

 Kisses with Daddy

 With my mom

 With Chance's dad

 With Chance's mom

Super Daddy changing a diaper



In his sleep sack with his eyes covered up

1 week old picture

At the end of the first week, I came down with a really high fever, chills, body aches for no reason, and it turns out that I had mastitis.  The only way I survived was with my mom here - she was a god-send.  A round of powerful antibiotics and plenty of rest (thanks to my mom) and it went away after a few days.  I ended up getting it again a few weeks later and that time it was very painful.  I've been told I may be prone to getting it and I'll have to be extra careful while I'm nursing not to get it again.

When Henry was two weeks old, we had a baby shower with Chance's side of the family.  It was so great to get to share him with everyone who loves and supports us here in KS.  We got a TON of stuff, including a lot of boy clothes (which we didn't have) and we were so excited.  It was also great for me to have my mom here so she could meet a lot of the aunts, cousins, etc. from Chance's side of the family.

 Lots of yummy food

 The guest of honor was pretty sleepy

 With my mom and Chance's mom

 It was a western themed shower - so adorable!

Shower gifts!

 Talking to my family back home

 First bath in his big boy bathtub - not the happiest bath ever

 Daddy is usually in charge of bath time



Henry is Grandma Barb's 13th Great-Grandchild!


 Four generations of Gregory's

 Snuggles

 With my mom

 Playing on his activity mat

 Tummy time - kind of blurry

 With our neighbor Brycen - they're going to be good buddies :)

Since I will be going back to work in early January, we had to make sure Henry would take a bottle.  This was something Chance has been looking forward to since he was born - the opportunity to feed him!  I don't know why I was worried - he took the bottle like a champ!  Our main lesson learned is he will suck it down in about 3 minutes if we're not careful, and then most of it will come right back up!  We've since started pacing him better, and I got out some slow-flow nipples and bottles that we were given and they've helped a ton.  He's able to switch back and forth between a bottle and mommy without any trouble!  Talk about a relief for mommy and daddy when we have to take him to daycare soon :(

 Big morning in the Gregory household!

To add to the longest post ever, here are a few cell phone pictures I've snapped during the month that I thought were cute.

 With daddy after a long day of work

The guard dogs sleeping next to his crib 



 Talking to Aunt Carrie on the phone


 We LOVE tummy time

 Polar bear after his bath

 My mom helping Henry burp

Sleepy boy in the middle of the night 

Henry was 1 month old on December 2nd and it's hard to believe how fast the month went by.  Here are a couple of pictures we took to celebrate the month.





I'll try to keep future posts a little shorter - once I go back to work, I won't be able to snap pictures and videos of him all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment