Mother's Day...what an amazing privilege to celebrate such a special day as a mother. This post is delayed as usual, but it's been a whirlwind around here since Mother's Day, and I'm just now finding time to finish this post. "Better Late Than Never" has become my new life motto - please don't judge :)
Becoming a mother is something I've dreamed about since I was a little girl, and to date I would consider it my greatest accomplishment in life. One of the random facts about myself I shared with Chance early in our relationship was that I wanted to be a mother, and if I never found Mr. Right, I would find another way...I didn't need the perfect husband to make that dream come true. He (thankfully) was up to the challenge and now we have Henry :)
My first Mother's Day wasn't the perfect day I'd always thought it would be, but in the spirit of not making my husband feel any worse for it, I won't go into the details. Let's just say he wasn't the "poster husband" he normally is, and didn't do a whole lot for me for Mother's Day. It's been a tense week or so in our house, but he's apologized (over and over) and I've worked hard to forgive him so we can move past it. I'm sure next year will be completely different!
Mother's Day weekend started on Friday with a sick little Henry. I was able to work from home while he slept (& while Chance was building our new deck) and it turned out to be a pretty productive day all around. Here are a few shots of our sweet boy sitting up so well!
Daddy took a break to hang with Baby H for a while so I could get some work done
Card that Henry made at day care for Mommy
On Saturday, H and I stayed inside for the morning while Chance worked outside. After lunch, we headed to the zoo here in Hutchinson for one of our first family outings together aside from a holiday function. It's nothing fancy, but free and fun as an afternoon outing. Henry seemed to like it and just stared at the animals as we walked through the exhibits.
On Saturday evening, we went to supper with Chance's parents, Hope and Tyler and Aunt Weezy to celebrate Mother's Day with them. Afterwards they came to our house to see our new deck and we got some pictures of Henry and Grammie - he was pretty distracted by the dogs, but we managed to get a few good ones!
Laughing at Gus
Aunt Weezy
Mother's Day was also Youth Sunday and we were so excited to see all of our Youth kids as they led our church's worship service on such a special day.
Henry only made it for part of the service...we ended up in the nursery taking a nap:)
Our Mother's Day gifts for Henry's grandmothers and great-grandmothers were dish towels with his feet prints on them. I found the idea on Pinterest and it was a lot of fun to do. Thank goodness we tried for the feet and not the hands...feet were crazy enough! We didn't get any pictures in the middle for obvious reasons, but we got before and after shots...
Waiting on us to get everything ready
Towels and paint ready!
Washing his feet afterwards
Loves splashing in the water!
Finished!
Before I had to pack for my work trip (will write about this in another post) we tried to get a few pictures of Henry and me since we don't have many of these that aren't "selfies". He was (again) distracted by the dogs but we got a few good ones :)
I love my sweet boy and love being his mommy more than anything in this world. Becoming a mother has been the most challenging and most rewarding experience of my life. I fight the "mommy guilt" daily when I drop him off at day care, but I know it's the best thing for our family right now. It feels like I second guess myself hourly, but I try to remind myself to go with my gut and it almost always works out just fine. We learn from each other daily and most days I feel like I didn't drop any balls. Motherhood is a day by day journey and we're figuring it out together...my son and me. :) Here's to a lifetime of Mother's Days to celebrate this amazing creation from above that has blessed our lives...my sweet baby boy Henry.



No comments:
Post a Comment