April 13, 2014

Big Week of Firsts!

Henry had a HUGE week of firsts - three big changes have happened since last weekend.  Mommy is having a hard time accepting all of these changes...not gonna lie!  This is the first time so many things have happened so close together, and I know it's only going to go faster from here!

1) When I picked him up from daycare on Thursday the 3rd, his "report card" said he had been rolling over all day.  We tried most of the weekend to get him to rollover, but he wouldn't do it where we could see him...until Sunday night.   We had been finding him on his tummy in bed when we laid him down on his side for a week or two (see picture below), but hadn't been able to catch him in the act.  I was so proud when we finally witnessed it, but little did I know it was the beginning of a VERY long night.  


How he started the night

What he did 10 seconds after we laid him down

Every time he would roll over, he would wake himself up and want to be turned back over.  It happened pretty much every hour for TWO nights in a row this week.  He's never been a tummy sleeper and has preferred his back or side instead, so he had a hard time going to sleep on his tummy at first.  

We have always said that when he started rolling over we would probably have to move him out of the little crib, but I don't think I had quite processed the move when he rolled for the first time.  It wasn't until we realized he didn't have enough room in the little crib and the TWO nights of no sleep, that we broke down and moved him to the big crib.  He's always napped in there during the day since he was a new baby, but our room has been for night time sleep.  I was worried it would be a tough adjustment, but instead it was a great transition.  He has slept better this week than he has yet!  We've been asking ourselves why we didn't move him sooner!

He's not a big napper so most evenings he's asleep by 7:00/7:15PM and wakes up between 6:30/7:00AM in the mornings so we can all get ready to go.  We fought for several weeks with him having a hard time going to sleep at night, and when I moved his bedtime back just 30 minutes it made all the difference.  He falls asleep on his own and wakes up happy so I think we may have figured out his new bedtime (at least for now).  

He's still been waking up 1-2 times to eat at night, so it's a little more work for me with him being in his own room, but I'm completely ok with it since he's sleeping much better between feedings.  Last night he only woke up twice (3:00 and 5:30AM), but didn't want to eat either of those times...just wanted his pacie and went right back to sleep.  Needless to say this nursing mommy was glad when he woke up at 6:30 to eat!  Hopefully this is a start of a much better sleeper in our house.  I miss him so much in the evenings now that he's sleeping longer and not in our room, but I know he needs his sleep to grow and be healthy so I'm trying to accept all of these changes.  
This is definitely hard to get used to next to our bed...

After we moved him to his big crib where he could stretch out

2) Toes are tasty all of a sudden!  I laid him down to change his diaper last Sunday, and all of a sudden the toe went right up to the mouth!  So funny!!  

As the week has gone on, he has become obsessed with his feet.  He is sitting up much better now (still can't do it on his own though) and if you sit him on the bed he immediately goes forward to his feet.  When he's on his back, they come straight up and he just has to grab them.  Needless to say, diaper changes have become like a wrestling match overnight!


3) Laughing at us has begun!  He can now be distracted by mommy and daddy saying silly things and acting crazy!  Here is a video of that sweet laugh...it warms my heart :)



No comments:

Post a Comment